Skip to main content

5/14


·      Define in your own words what an “objective correlative” does.

·      Think of an example or two of an objective correlative that you’ve seen in a book, movie, song, play, tv show, poem...

A.Your job is to describe how you are feeling now at this moment in the midst of the pandemic. Instead, look outside your window and describe something you see outside – maybe a tree, a cat, a cloud, the sky, an airplane, the river.Whatever you choose, capture the way you feel through the way you describe that thing outside.  

B.Now do it again.  But this time, imagine you are someone else living through this moment in time.   You can choose anyone.   Your little brother.  Your grandmother.  The rude guy down the block.  Governor Cuomo.  A sick patient in the hospital.  Use the description to create the emotion you imagine this person feels.

What do your experiences help you to see about why a writer would use an objective correlative?  What advantage might they offer? 


When it comes to how I define , objective correlative, it is basically when emotion is being shown, but not actually, just through symbols. It is pretty much the author saying something the reader without directly saying it to them. Additionally, it is also a pattern of similar events, actions, and it still doesn't have a direct statement but with the words used the reader can find out how the character feels in the event they are in.

An example of objective correlative that can be found in the show, "The Flash", is when the main character sees his girlfriend get kidnapped and so the director implies that barry, the characters name, is mad by showing details like him running and being stressed out in the lab. 

Currently, in the midst of this quarantine, I am finding myself lost because all of my hobbies that I am used to doing are all gone because most of them have to do with going outside. For example, I like to play basketball but currently cant. Also, I cant go meet up with my friends and just chill and hangout. Something I really miss is eating out. Usually after Fridays I meet up with friends from other schools and we go to the YMCA which is like a complex with a gym, basketball court, pool, etc. What I miss the most was actually school though. I feel bad for the senior who are leaving their teachers and friends without an actual goodbye. I also miss my friends and going into marks office and advisory. Overall, I wish that Covid-19 doesn't continue for long because of how it has affected me and people close to me.

If I switched into my grandpas body it would be a way different experience compared to mine. My grandpa died recently but before that, he was diagnosed with Covid-19. So, I imagine fear and feeling weak on the inside. I chose fear because my grandpa was always scared of the hospital and when he went there he never got to see any of his family and he died before they could say anything one last time. This upset my mom of course and has also affected me. Along with my grandpa, some of my cousins and aunts have also been infected and some of them were more than family to me and seeing them like that is just upsetting. But that is how it would be like switching into my grandpas body. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My poem